birding-aus

Spotted Whistling Duck Weipa

To: "Birding-Aus" <>, <>
Subject: Spotted Whistling Duck Weipa
From: "Allan Benson" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 18:09:36 +1100
Hi All,

John Reidy, Robin Benson and I saw 75-100 SWD at Awonga Waste Treatment
works at Weipa on the 16th January.

We arrived at the site we noted 5 SWD sitting on a pipe on the treatment
works. Despite approaching 100 metres or so away from the ducks, as soon
as we got the ponds in sight, we flushed every SWD on the ponds. We
estimated at least 75 and possibly 100 as the rapidly disappeared over
the horizon.

We returned about an hour later to find 6 SWD had returned and got
excellent views through the scope.

The birds were extremely skittish. Every time we moved, they moved and
despite being very cautious, they flushed after about 15 minutes.

This number of SWD suggests that they are breeding very successfully on
Cape York.

Best Regards

Allan Benson

Checked by AVG.