birding-aus

Lewin's Rail, Bicent Park Homebush (Sydney NSW)

To: Peter Madvig <>
Subject: Lewin's Rail, Bicent Park Homebush (Sydney NSW)
From: Chris Gregory <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:45:37 +1100
Went to Bicenntenial Park this afternoon. Not with much hope of seeing the
Lewin's Rail, as most observations have seemed to be to be early morning or
late afternnoon, and hope dropped a notch or two when a birder leaving the
carpark said he hadn't seen it. But there it was in the ooze by the papyrus
at the north end of the pond as reported. This was 2.30pm on a warm 30
degree day in full sunlight. The Spotless Crake accompanied it and even
chased it at one point. It showed for 20 minutes till we left and seemed to
be wandering back and forth along a 20 metre stretch of very smelly mud,

Also Black-fronted Dotterel and a busy small flock of Little Grassbirds

Cheers

Chris Gregory