birding-aus

Possible American Golden Plover at Boat Harbour, Sydney

Subject: Possible American Golden Plover at Boat Harbour, Sydney
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 02:42:42 -0800 (PST)
Hi Tun-Pin and Birding-Aus,

I spent a couple of hours in the Boat Harbour area today to look for Tun-Pin's
interesting Golden Plover.

At the first rock platform close to the cul-de-sac parking lot I saw the
following:
6 Sooty Oystercatchers
12 Pacific Golden Plovers (one of them drabber than the others)***
6 Ruddy Turnstones
1 Red Knot

At Boat Harbour proper:
2 very distant Wedge-tailed Shearwaters
1 dark morph Eastern Reef Egret
many adult and young Little Terns
12 Common Terns
plenty of Crested Terns

At Shell Point
5 Pied Oystercatchers

In addition:
10 Aus Pelicans, 1 Little Pied Cormorant, Great Cormorants, Little Black
Cormorants, Silver Gulls, 2 Golden-headed Cisticolas, and 1 Aus Pipit

*** I am not sure if "my drab bird" was "Tun-Pin's interesting bird". If so, I
wasn't able to gather any further information about plumage and structural
details. However, in general "my bird" did not appear like an AGP.
There were quite a lot of comments on Tun-Pin's excellent pictures of "his
bird", so I don't want to be redundant. I only want to add that also "Tun-Pin's
bird" did not immediately ring my personal "AGP alarm bells". Mostly when I
have seen young and non-breeding AGPs (in the US) they reminded me of Eurasian
Dotterels (rather than of Grey Plovers or European Golden Plovers): stubby
bills, large eyes, sharply demarcated supercilium (but possibly also their
preference to run around on short grass). PGPs, in contrast, are - to me - much
more similar to Grey Plovers in jizz.
To confuse everything even more: In the last year before I left the US, we had
a bird at Cape May that showed field marks for both AGP and PGP and - even more
interesting - it gave the calls of both species as well! - Images are published
in Michael O'Brien's, Richard Crossley's and Kevin Karlson's Shorebird Guide.

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW