birding-aus

Re: Wandering Tattler numbers

To: "Jeff Davies" <>, "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Re: Wandering Tattler numbers
From: "Tobias Hayashi" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:44:32 +1100
Thanks Jeff.

I have posted two photos on the web (http://www.flickr.com/photos/callocephalon/sets/72157612489881865/), the larger one the only one I have of multitple birds (or at least in focus vaguely). I was unaware that 12 was such an unusual number, and would, if I had known, bothered to count more accurately and get photos of more birds. However, as it is, I can say with confidence that there were at least 10+ (as I say, I am not entirely sure that there were 12 as I didnt count very accurately, but that was my impression) Tattlers (again, I didnt check every bird down to the last feather, but I would think I would have noticed a different bird ie Grey-tailed). I hope the photos can provide some medium of understanding. I am happy to send people larger versions of photos if they still doubt the identity, or would like to see some more shots. I may well, in time, upload some more photos to the same place. The group of tattlers were in the same place (or close together), and when I sat down behind a rock, I could keep most of them in sight. Before they were there, I flushed two groups of 5-6 birds each when walking up the beach in search of them, and they landed in this, what seemed to be a favourite roosting site . As for the call, the one bird that did call when I flushed it (I tried to flush them as little as possible) gave a trilling type of call. I have photos of birds in flight, if that is also necessary.
As I say, feel free to contact me regarding further info.
Cheers
Tobias