birding-aus

Pardalotes in the heat

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Pardalotes in the heat
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:37:11 +1100
Hi All,

   Further to the report of dead birds from heat in WA, the temperature
around Bendigo (Vic) today, it was 42 degrees  with a hot wind, and the
pardalotes were in a very distressed state.

   I have a number of birdbaths around our house and changed the warm water
every 2 to 3 hours throughout the day.  Each time the rim of a couple of the
birdbaths were lined with Spotted and Striated Pardalotes. The birds
remained on the birdbaths until I began to tip out the warm water and
returned immediately the birdbaths were refilled, even though I was still
standing beside the water.

   Shortly after a couple of Spotteds landed on the window ledge outside my
study, panting and gasping.  They appeared as though they were about to
collapse at any moment, so we actually picked them up and put them in a bush
where I had a couple of sprinklers running, specifically for the birds, and
they remained there for the afternoon along with about 10 other pardalotes.

  Pardalotes definitely seemed to be suffering more from the heat then the
other birds although the sprinkler and wet bush also provided respite to
numerous other birds.

  The water in birdbaths can become quite hot, so while it's great to
provide water, it needs to be changed quite often on extreme hot days.

   Happy birding

   Marlene.