birding-aus

Heatwave kills hundreds of birds in WA

To: "'Birding Australia'" <>
Subject: Heatwave kills hundreds of birds in WA
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:10:53 +1100
I remember similar conditions at Hamelin Station, about 30 km from the
Overlander Roadhouse,in January 1984.
Hamelin Station was one of my study sites during my Ph.D study of the
ecology of the White-browed Scrubwren in south-western Australia.
On 5 January 1984, the air temperature reached 52.5 C in the sun, ground
temperature in the sun was 63.0 C. In the shade, the temperature reached
49.6 C and the ground temperature reached 51.5 C.
The response of some small passerines to these conditions were published in
Ambrose, S.J. (1984). The response of small birds to extreme heat. Emu 84:
242-243.
Although I did not observe extensive bird deaths on this occasion, there
were nevertheless many heat-stressed birds who took shelter under buildings
and other man-made structures. The above-mentioned paper describes how some
birds sought shelter in an underground hollow that had formed under a partly
dislodged limestone rock.
There are other papers that describe responses of Australian birds to heat
wave conditions. These include:
Davies, S.J.J.F. (1982). Behavioural adaptations of birds to environments
where evaporation is high and water is in short supply. Journal of
Comparative Biochemistry & Physiology 71A: 557-566.
Finlayson, H.H. (1932). Heat in the interior of South Australia and Central
Australia: Holocaust of bird life. South Australian Ornithologist 11:
158-160.
Wyndham, E. (1980). Diurnal cycle, behaviour and social organization of the
Budgerigar, Melopsittacus undulates. Emu 80: 25-33.
There are probably other scientific papers on this topic, but these are the
ones that readily come to mind.
Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW