birding-aus

Black-necked Stork in Sydney

To: <>, ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Black-necked Stork in Sydney
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:53:44 +1100
I will get in before Greg Clancy does - he will possibly have more records
anyway. However, there have been one or two birds seen on the Georges River
(southern Sydney) in the last few years - I went to look for one in late
2004/early 2005 but it was not seen again on that occassion.
Cheers,
Peter> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:57:08 +1100> From:
> To: > Subject:
[Birding-Aus] Black-necked Stork in Sydney> > Hi all> One of the commercial tv
news reports - think it was Ten - late last> night had a story re a
Black-necked Stork being found and cared for by> WIRES in Sydney. The bird was
repeatedly referred to as a 'Jabiru> Stork', the location not given. The bird
was shown and was clearly an> immature bird - brown-necked. One explanation
given was that a holiday> maker might have brought the bird back to Sydney,
possibly having taken> a juvenile from the wild, then released it after it
became too big. I> would imagine the only captive Sydney birds would be at
Taronga and> Featherdale. I'm not aware of recent records of this species
around> Sydney - guess there would be very few records in recent years,
perhaps> from the Hawkesbury? > > The story reminded me of two very unusual
records of my own from the> 1970s, when I was a young birder living in East
Lindfield in the> northern suburbs of Sydney. I had my first ever views of a
Black-necked> Stork here, flying over our garden - this was around 1975/76 but
was> before the time that I kept records. I was amazed at the sight of a>
Jabiru (as they were more commonly called in those days) quite low over> our
home. > Also some time in the mid 1970s, another unusual sighting here was a>
Black Bittern - flushed from a stand of some kind of exotic lily growing> in
our front garden. I shouted out to my mother " A bittern a bittern a> bittern",
which caused her to fly into a panic ready to get the ambos in> to treat me for
a funnel-web spider bite (they definitely outnumbered> the bitterns). I sent my
story in to the naturalist Vincent Serventy,> who in those days wrote a weekly
column in the Sun Herald, and he> published the story with a pic of what I
recall was a Little Bittern. > The location may have been on some kind of
flyway as I had many> sightings of waterbirds - herons, ibis (which were not so
common in> Sydney in those days), cormorants and ducks - passing overhead in
the 12> years we lived here. It is close to Middle Harbour, where there is>
potential Black Bittern habitat.> > > Eric Finley> > >