birding-aus

RFI re: Tasmanian birds

To: David Kowalick <>
Subject: RFI re: Tasmanian birds
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 22:27:35 +1100
Hi David,
Maria Island and Bruny Island are two nice 'touristy' spots that would also give you a good chance at many on your list. Another nice 'touristy' activity (though a bit pricey) is to fly to Melaleuca, in the south west, which is really your only chance at OBPs (and maybe starting to get a bit late for them??).

40-spots - most Euc. viminalis woodlands on Bruny Island, but especially in the north east of the Island. Similar woodlands on Maria Island, but probably easiest at the Peter Murrell reserve, near Kingston. Enter the top end of the reserve, off Huntingfield Rd, and search the Euc.s around the dams on Coffee Creek.

Swift Parrots - try any flowering woodlands around Mt Nelson (Hobart Suburb), South Bruny Island, Weilangta State Forest (Forest drive between Copping and Orford is also fairly 'touristy').

Scrubtit - try Ferntree Bower, or any of the other rainforesty gullies on Mt Wellington, or Sandspit River walk at Weilangta State Forest. Otherwise, most denser rainforest areas (though we have seen one high in a dead tree on the Dove Lake Circuit walk at Cradle Mountain!)

Pink Robin - again, most denser/moister forests. Weilangta, the Walk into Snug Falls, gullies on Mt Welington, etc.

Most of these areas are in the south, as I guess most visitors come there (or at least there), and you won't get 40-spots away from the south. If you want suggestions in other areas of the state, let me know, and I'll see what I can advise.

Happy Tassie birding,
John Tongue
Ulverstone, Tas.