birding-aus

Cheetham Salt Suspends All Birdwatching Activities in the Saltfields

To: "Birding-Aus" <>, "Russell Woodford" <>
Subject: Cheetham Salt Suspends All Birdwatching Activities in the Saltfields
From: "Trevor" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 09:10:47 +1030
Hi Russell,

The information was passed on by myself Trevor Cowie (Field Progamme Co-ordinator Birds SA) as I have been in direct contact with Price & Dry Creek Saltfields on behalf of SAOA/Birds SA and Birds Australia with regards to the Nation wide Wader & Shorebird counts covered by the 2020 programme.

Both Price & Dry Creek sent me an email advising this is the current situation.
Attention All Birdwatchers

As of Monday 12th of January 2009,

All bird watching and similar activities within the Cheetham Salt - Dry Creek Salt fields will be suspended until further notice pending the outcome of liability and risk assessments of the site.

This was also advised by Price earlier, and may very well apply to any site in Australia under Cheetham this has not been stated (as yet) to my knowledge.

This may be a good time to ask birders around Australia to join the national count to cover any and all Wader & Shorebird sites inland lakes etc to get as much info on the decline of waders in particular.

If you are interested and want to help Contact Jo or Rob
Birds Australia (Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union)
National Office
Green Building, 60 Leicester St, Suite 2-05
Carlton, Vic.  3053
E-mail:
E-mail

Even if you are unsure about wader identification all those that can need a scribe to record what is being seen, so do not be shy its a good way to improve your shills and learn. There are co-ordinators around the states and districts you can be put in touch with.

There is also Birds Australia web site covering the requirements: Have a look at www.shorebirds.org.au under "The Toolkit" for forms etc BEFORE saying Yes or No.

Its for the Birds!

Trevor Cowie