birding-aus

Re: [SPAM] [Birding-Aus] cuckoos in Alice...and beyond

To: gary wright <>
Subject: Re: [SPAM] [Birding-Aus] cuckoos in Alice...and beyond
From: Robert Gosford <>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:07:02 +0930
From out here at Yuendumu I've been hearing Pallid Cuckoos a fair bit in the borefield about 15k's west of town - an area where I'd heard them last year. The other day I saw three calling and chasing each other. Apart from the usual call there was a sort 'clattering' call when together in close company on/near to the ground. The next day I called one in with my trusty Ipod & speaker. And on the weekend went to a dam site about 10k's to the south of town where I saw Black-eared Cuckoo, heard & saw Pallids calling (response/duets?) and also heard but did not see Horsefields.
So, all of the migrant Cuckoos in one small area!
After years of struggling to see, hear and 'pick' Cuckoos (apart from the obvious spp. like Koels & C-bCs) I tentatively think I might have them down at last...

Bob

gary wright wrote:
I have just seen my first cuckoos in Alice springs.  A pair of horsefields
bronze cuckoos behind flynn's grave.  Appeared to be courting- travelling
together, more strongly coloured bird often sitting with tail cocked and
feeding the other.  An interesting sighting for me as I had only seen cuckoos
incessantly calling!

Pallid cuckoo heard near ochre pits/Inarlanga pass western mcdonalds.

Gary