birding-aus

Owl flying during the day

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Owl flying during the day
From: "storm" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 15:49:53 +1100
Hi Birders

Hopefully  my questions will makes sense (always a good start).

I'm writing a submission against a proposed action. One of the actions
involves making a great deal of novel, loud and intentionally frightening
noises in an area where Powerful Owls potentially might be. The proponent
says,  "Even if the owl happens to be present during the disturbance, and it
bothered by it, it can easily move to roost in another part of its
territory".

This seems fundamentally wrong to me although, because I don't know much/
anything about owls, I am having a hard time articulating. I understand that
Owls are reported to have excellent hearing so they *will* be bothered by
loud and novel noises. Also that they don't tend to fly in the day or else
they attract the attention of small and annoying birds who then spend the
day making sure the Owl doesn't get any sleep. I suspect this is not the
only reason they don't fly during the day though.

Are there listers who would be willing to explain to me why Owls don't fly
during the day? - a reference that is available on line would be a big bonus
too.

Also, how would I find out about breeding records for POs in Sydney? Who
keeps such exciting things?

thanks

storm