birding-aus

RFI: planning a visit

Subject: RFI: planning a visit
From: Katrina Knight <>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 11:10:06 -0500
Hello,

My sister and I are beginning to plan a month-long trip to Australia, probably starting the last week in February. She's not a birder, so this isn't a birding trip as such, but she likes the outdoors and natural history in general and will indulge my desire to go birding to some extent as long as I don't get obsessive about it. Our general plan is to make a loop around the eastern half of the country, spending up to several days in each area, travelling partly by train, partly by plane and renting cars here and there as needed. We're looking at something like Sydney - Brisbane - Cairns - Darwin - Alice Springs - Adelaide - Melbourne and back to Sydney. We may skip Brisbane. I'd like to go to Tasmania too, but I don't think there will be time for that. So far we've decided to go to Phillip Island and Michaelmas Cay.

My question at this point is what locations should I consider to be "must-sees" at that time of the year as far as birding is concerned? I'm trying to get a handle on how we should split up our time. I want to see as wide a range of Australian birds as possible given the amount of time we have to work with. If I see rarities along the way, that will be nice, but I don't want to spend a lot of time looking for specific birds unless there is something special about them. (Advice on which species are special enough that I should make a point of trying to see them would be appreciated too. I'm a bit overwhelmed paging through a field guide that features well over 700 species that I haven't seen, many of them belonging to families of birds I'm not even familiar with.)

Thanks to anybody who can make suggestions.

--
Katrina Knight

Reading, PA, USA