birding-aus

West Head, Ku-Ring-Gai NP, Sydney

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: West Head, Ku-Ring-Gai NP, Sydney
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 14:34:23 +1100
Hi all
I went to West Head in Ku-Ring-Gai NP in northern Sydney today for a BBQ breakfast with my family. While not a birding trip, I saw some good birds, namely: - 2 parties of Glossy Black Cockatoos, each comprising 3 birds (2 adults, 1 youngster). Although not far apart as the GBC flies, they were clearly different groups as one had a noisy begging juvenile, the other the female had much more yellow on the head and the juvenile was much more independent. They were at West Head, right by the entrance to the viewing area and on the Koolewong Track, just after the junction to the lookout.
- Leaden Flycatcher at Resolute Picnic area
- Also on the Koolewong Track were several Cicadabirds calling & showing well and Olive Oriole calling. - A Bar Shouldered Dove seen flying off the road near Challenger Track on our way out. I have never seen one in the park before, but it was very pale underneath and looked too small & slim to be a bronzewing. At the Resolute Picnic Area, we saw a Goanna catch and eat a bird, but I don't know what it was - the feathers left behind were grey, white, bit of tawny brown. Bird wasn't too big - about Grey Shrike Thrush size
Cheers
Tom Wilson