birding-aus

From Phil Gregory - FNQ Sightings

To: birding birding-aus <>
Subject: From Phil Gregory - FNQ Sightings
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:19:42 +1100
Oops - I pressed the wrong button and discarded Phil Gregory's message instead of approving it (yes, s number of messages get held for approval for a plethora of reasons).

Here is what he intended to send to the list - sorry Phil!
A few odds and ends about:
Cassowary our big female has been in the past two mornings Dec 13 and 14 about 0630; the male has been gone for some 5 weeks now and is clearly off on the nest after a failed breeding attempt in July- August. We hope for the chicks later this month, but it's not a great time of year to have them as the cyclone season is looming. Red-footed Booby 6 reported off Michaelmas Cay on Dec 13, they have been around for a few weeks now and I think I'm going to have to go twitch them for my Oz list!
Black Bittern 4 or 5 from Chris Dahlberg's Daintree boat trip Dec 7.
Sarus Crane 3 at Hastie's Swamp Dec 6
Red-necked Crake being seen fairly regularly at Cassowary House, Kuranda, and very vocal. Red-kneed Dotterel the bird is still at the north end of the Esplanade where it has been for some months; It's my only record of the species here. Also two at Hastie's Swamp Dec 6.
Latham's Snipe 2 at Hastie's Swamp Dec 6.

Oriental Cuckoo one flew through on Chris Dahlberg's Daintree trip Dec 7. Red-rumped Swallow 3 seen at Somerset Rd north of Newell Beach Dec 10. Has anyone checked them for Striated Swallow? I will go have a look myself this coming week. Noisy Pitta amazingly vocal along Black Mountain Road, Kuranda on Dec 6-10, calling much of the day and even at night. Has gone quiet now, so maybe they got their mates.
White-eared Monarch very vocal Black Mt Road Dec 6-10.
Dollarbird two hawking over Abattoir Swamp, Julatten and repeatedly dipping down into the water. I've seen them do this on the Fly River when the mayflies are hatching; today I felt they may have been drinking as there was no obvious insect activity.

Good birding
Phil Gregory
www.cassowary-house.com.au