birding-aus

Re: [SPAM] RE: [SPAM] RE: [Birding-Aus] Digital SLR for bird photography

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Re: [SPAM] RE: [SPAM] RE: [Birding-Aus] Digital SLR for bird photography
From: Robert Gosford <>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:23:49 +0930
I shoot birds largely using two (three really) lenses and set-ups - (1) hand-held with a 300mm F4 & 1.7x extender for flight shots, (2) same set-up on a monopod (best thing ever invented for bird/sports/people shots!!) with a ball-head - great for opportunistic walking around shots and (relatively) close-up set shots of birds where you need to be able to move quickly, and (3) my big lens - an old but great and pin-sharp 600mm (manual) F4 - with 1.4x or 2x extender on a very heavy tripod for set-up and static shots where I know I'm going to be in one place (concealed in a hide/car etc at or around a nest/roost/foraging site) for any length of time and am within walking distance to a vehicle. And no, I don't spend too long at a nest - often I'll spend some time without shooting or moving - just checking from a safe distance on the bird/s to see if they are disturbed by my presence...my best most recent example of that is a Black-breasted Buzzard nest near to here - it is in a dead tree in the middle of an open plain so approaching it without alerting the parents to my presence is impossible and the last two times that I did approach they both appeared alarmed - so I observe from a hundred and fifty metres or so away... I miss the photos but there will be other nests. And on my wish list (and has been since it came out) is a new body (D3) and a new 600mm AF and a 200-400mm zoom and a 12-24mm w/a and a...

And, even though he is a Canon shooter - I cannot recommend Arthur Morris's Bird As Art highly enough - http://www.birdsasart.com/

Peter Shute wrote:
The tracking sounds like it would be really helpful.  But I guess you need to
be able to get it to focus on the bird through the leaves initially before it
can start tracking it, and that you need to be able to keep the camera
reasonably still for it to keep tracking.