birding-aus

why swamphens have white undertail coverts [and ID]

To: "Gordon and Pam Cain" <>
Subject: why swamphens have white undertail coverts [and ID]
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:18:42 +1100
Hi Gordon,

It's interesting what you took away from the doco compared to what I
did. Probably a sign of my prejudices more than anything. I watched
most of the doco and had read about it previously, so maybe we saw
different bits as well.

I guess it's a question of the question; I read it that the court case
was to determine:
"Should Intelligent Design be taught in schools and presented as a
valid scientific theory?"

The court's answer was a resounding no. The proponents of ID could not
prove that they had a theory that stood up to scientific reasoning; ie
a theory that could be proven false and that had not been proven
false. The bacterial flagellum is the classic example of failing the
'irreducibility theory" that ID is based on. The theory goes that if
an organism has an apparatus/organ (organelle in the case of the
bacteria) that can not work if some parts are missing then it must
have been designed for that purpose. The ID defenders had always held
up the flagellum, and it was proven as false in court with the mention
of the injecting organ found in other bacteria. There was also mention
of the evolution of the immune system in mammals, which was also
disproven.

To address your major concern, that "To conclude that, one must prove
either that there is no possibility whatsoever that an intelligence or
a designer is out there." I totally agree, but that was not the point
of the doco, nor is it the point of evolution. As a wise man once
said, Science is good at the how, not the why. The theory of evolution
has been one of the most successful theories in the modern era. Easily
falsifiable and creating predictable results for over 100 years. But
as you say, this does not disprove that there is some creator behind
the evolution. This would be the why that science is so bad at.
Further, how on earth would you prove that there was a creator?

So, the aim of the court case and the evolution/ID debate is this.
Separate science and religion. Trying to pass off one as the other
cheapens both and helps no-one. Leave science to those things we can
prove and religion to those we can not. ID may still prove to be a
valid theory, but they have an awful lot of work to do before that
happens.

EB

--
Evan Beaver