birding-aus

Seabirds off WA and Christmas Island - incl.GREAT SHEARWATER

To: <>, <>
Subject: Seabirds off WA and Christmas Island - incl.GREAT SHEARWATER
From: Daniel Mantle <>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:44:49 +0000
Hi Grant and Birding-Aus,

Yeah, this is really very close to what I saw. I would say the variability that
I could notice was restricted to those birds with only a very thin trailing
edge (not really noticeable in the field but can be picked out in some of my
very poor photos) and and those with a very noticeable, thick dark trailing
edge to the underwing (as in your great photo -
http://www.aviceda.org/abid/index.php). I am sure it is probably a case of
either the light (although I was always looking down of the birds from 15-20m
and I could follow a bird for hundreds of metres and it would continue to show
the thicker, darker trailing edge and stand out from typical birds around it)
or natural variation within the local population. I also thought some at least
two of the birds with darker trailing edges had much darker hoods that appeared
to cover the eyes (but this even more than the underwing could be a misleading
feature of the shadow/light).

Just a shame I never got photos of any of these particular birds but I found
photography on a large vessel very frustrating (or just beyond my basic skills).

Thanks for posting the photo, Grant.

Cheers Dan