birding-aus

Kuringai Chase NP. Sydney

To: <>
Subject: Kuringai Chase NP. Sydney
From: "Eric Finley" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 12:06:16 +1100
Hi all

An interesting walk off the West Head road on Sat 6 Dec on the Waratah
Track. I hadnt done this track for more than a decade and its a beauty
for sandstone heath - after recent Sydney rains the various plant
communities are in great shape and there were still many plants in
flower, including a good flowering of dwarf angophoras coming to an end.
Unfortunately the day was a Sydney stinker with still, humid conditions
in the 30s - on a track with few large trees and almost no shade. This
led to mostly quiet conditions after about 930 am. Most interesting
sightings were:
- a pair of Painted Button-quail just off the track in low open heath
scrub and sandstone - located by call. I hadnt seen this species for
several years and got brief but close views so was very happy with the
sighting.
- 3 sightings of Chestnut-rumped Heathwren
- alot of Channel-billed Cuckoo activity mostly over the distant hills
hills where the tree cover better suits them. There were 3 at Terry
Hills shops earlier in the morning.
- a pair of Swamp Wallaby sheltering beneath one of the rocky
escarpments
- a good sized goanna maybe 1.5 m long
No sightings at West Head of the Glossy Black Cockatoos and Brush
Turkeys seen on visits there last summer.
2 separate Bar-shouldered Doves seen in the Terry Hills area - I wonder
if this species is now well established there?

Eric Finley