birding-aus

Albatross death-limiting device is a finalist on the Inventors

To: "Birding-aus \(E-mail\)" <>
Subject: Albatross death-limiting device is a finalist on the Inventors
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 00:18:17 +1100
I noticed that a device that eliminates or greatly reduces the big problem of
Albatross deaths by long-line fishing methods was a finalist on the Inventors
on ABC TV this week. That is one of the top 5 inventions on the program this
year. That is an excellent achievement. It is a device that locks access to the
hook until the bait and hook has sunk below the level that sea birds can reach
it. This, if used will stop the serious bycatch problems of sea birds (and it
was stated turtles). Won't do much for tuna conservation of course.

I didn't notice whether it was the winner (not that that matters enormously),
as I went to sleep as the program was running.

Philip