birding-aus

southward movement of bird distribution

To: "Baus" <>
Subject: southward movement of bird distribution
From: "Graham Turner" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:23:55 +1100
Indeed something is going on, and has been for sometime, and its not just frugivorous. Both Crested Hawks and Brahminy Kites seem to be coming further down the east cost, as are mangrove birds (Honeyeater and Warbler). Other birds heading south include white-eared Monarch and Toresian Crow. There seems to be no pattern to the movers.

And yes I agree that global warming (human induced or otherwise) may have nothing to do with it, but I'm curious to know what is causing this southward migration.

Is anything similar happening on the west coast?

Cheers
Graham Turner