birding-aus

ground cuckoo shrike southern NT

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: ground cuckoo shrike southern NT
From: "gary wright" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 09:30:29 +1030
On 18/11/08 10 kms down Mulga Pk road (turns off Lasseter highway just before
Curtin Springs if heading west) saw four ground cuckoo shrikes.  As usual (for
me anyway!) they were flying a long way, stopping briefly in a tree adn then
while I was still 300 metres away they were flying a long way again.  In the
end did get good views of one perched on top of a bush and heard the call(first
time I have been close enough to hear call)

I have spent the last almost two years driving around the NPY lands in central
australia( from Warburton(WA) to Marla(SA) to Papunya in NT and I have seen
ground cuckoo shrikes on three occassions only.  Below is a short list of
notable birds or general comments on incidental birding:

Black breasted buzzard usually seen Lasseter highway in vicinity of Yulara
grey falcon(two) seen once circling the road near Kulgera
crested bell bird the most common bird on road in APY lands(SA)
Bustard only twice consisting of three birds(between Warakurna and WArburton
and between Papunya and Mt Liebig)
swans, six pre-dawn flying south west just east of Warakurna
Within 24 hours or less of rain grey teal, hoary headed grebe and wood duck on
flooded areas of road
Cinnamon quail thrush on victory downs road opposite victory downs homestead
Major mitchell cockatoos frequently between Docker River and Kata Tjuta
Unfortunately an increase in the number of road killed wedgtailed eagles,
although now we have  had some rain adn the rabbits will breed up, then that
should decrease.

As can be seen from the above I rarely see bustards.  I spent six months
driving NT and WA in 2004 and I saw almost as many mounds of plucked feathers
from bustards as I did live bustards.  My guess is that they are on the road to
extinction.  Does anyone have any information on this?

Gary