birding-aus

FW: Could this be forwarded to BA for me please?

To: "Birds" <>
Subject: FW: Could this be forwarded to BA for me please?
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:15:40 +1030
Forwarded by TR on behalf of John
Gamblin.================================================================
===

Dear Birding Ausers,

I was wondering if any member of thee world's best email writing list
has witnessed the same behaviour in wild birds which I have very
recently witnessed.

What I have seen was within one of the magpie family's that I am lucky
have live nearby to my home. The magpie parents of one family have
started bringing two of their three children down to my home for a drink
of water and some food. Then about half an hour later they return with
the remaining young magpie, after first taking the first two young ones
back to their roost.

This is odd as at first the entire family would descend on to my block,
then later a family war broke out between two of the three young ones
and the third would not get involved at all.

In fact I venture to say the third young one would deliberately avoid
being involved in the growing in violence fracas. When they are not
feeding or drinking they all get along fine with each other and the
singing and carolling often occurs. I know the two warring youngsters
are sorting out their pecking order but it is a first for me to witness
two of the three staying back at the roost whilst the other one has a
drink and feed, the single dining young magpie gets fed by both MUM AND
DAD magpie?

Obviously at double the feed rate of it's warring sibling. Maybe the
parents know this gives it a better chance to survive despite thee odds?

This is a first for me and I was wondering has anyone else seen this
behaviour in the Australian white backed magpie (Gymnorhina tibicen). If
so could they send me an email with possibly the date and location to
which they saw this event occur.

Thanking you all, for your time.

John A. Gamblin ... please send emails to