birding-aus

Australian Koel?

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Australian Koel?
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 19:52:17 +1000
I see in the report of the 2008 trip to Ashmore reef a reference to " Australian Koel".

What is that?

Is it the same as the "Asian Koel" (Eudynamys scolopaceus) referred to in "Systematics and Taxonomy of Australian Birds" (Christidis and Boles, 2008) and which we used to call "Common Koel"? This species was called "Common Koel" in "The Taxonomy and Species of Birds of Australia and its Territories" (Christidis and Boles 1994). (Actually, in that publication the species name was "E. scolopacea" so I suppose we could start another meaningless discussion on the correct use of gender or something in Latin versions of scientific names.
But I am not really interested in that.)
Or is it "Eastern Koel" (Eudynamys orientalis) also referred to in "Systematics and Taxonomy of Australian Birds" (Christidis and Boles 2008)?
Or is it something else?

The name "Australian Koel" suggests that this is a bird normally encountered only in Australia. Is that the case with the Koel seen on Ashmore Reef?

Obviously I should get out more often but the weather around me today has not been conducive to doing that.

Cheers

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld