birding-aus

two amusing pieces of bird behaviour

To: "Canberra Birds" <>, Birding-aus <>
Subject: two amusing pieces of bird behaviour
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:32:23 +1100
Noticed two two amusing pieces of bird behaviour this afternoon in
Woodland nr Canberra.

1. A Rufous Whistler displaying to proclaim his territory. He flew
from tree to tree in his territory, singing his song. The female
followed him with a little lag and sang simultaneously (though with
not the same song) when he was singing, to support him. I have heard
of Redthroat pairs both singing to defend their territory, but I
haven't seen this behaviour before.

2. A Kookaburra, obviously worried I was coming too close to its nest,
swooped low behind me (I hadn't seen it) and then suddenly uttered its
cackle in mid-flight right behind me. I jumped about a foot in the
air. It did it agin a little while later with almost the same effect.
I'm glad Kookaburras don't attack you, they'd be even more dangerous
than Magpies, I'd imagine.

--
John Leonard
Canberra