birding-aus

Arctic Tern

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Arctic Tern
From: "Chris Baxter" <>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 21:33:48 +1030
Hi All

Had an exciting find on Thursday 30 October on the S coast of Kangaroo
Island, SA. I was at Flour Cask Bay with my two eldest boys and we sighted
an Arctic Tern resting on the beach with several Silver Gulls. It was an
immature bird and seemed quite exhausted as it allowed a reasonably close
approach for some digital photos to be taken. This was a first for my life
list, a first for KI and a "bookend" observation when coupled with the
Antarctic Terns I found at Cape Du Couedic KI during September 2006. Strong
N winds before the observation probably blew the bird across to KI from the
Australian mainland and hopefully it recovered its strength and was able to
continue on its migration.

Other nice sightings lately have been Whimbrels x 3; Great and Red Knots x
c. 25 of each; Pallid Cuckoo (first recorded sighting on KI for over 20
years); Gang-gang Cockatoos at Flinders Chase NP  and Singing Bushlarks in
farmland crops etc NE of Kingscote (main town) - they have been rarely
recorded on KI.

Happy Birding

Chris Baxter