birding-aus

Goldfinches in Perth

To: <>, <>
Subject: Goldfinches in Perth
From: John Graff <>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 17:05:04 +1030
Alan,

There appear to be a few very small feral populations of Goldfinch around Perth
as they are seen from time to time at places like Herdsman Lake and along the
river at places like Bardon Park. Searching the BAWA sightings archives at
http://birdswa.com.au/ will turn up a few records. I have not heard of any from
the Spectactles before though. There are also some small isolated populations
of Chestnut-breasted Mannikins around some of the lakes (including Herdsman
again, and Bibra Lake), which also don't rate a mention in some of the field
guides

Cheers,
John

> Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 17:25:14 +1100
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Goldfinches in Perth
>
> I've been in Perth for a few days on a business trip, and have grabbed a
> couple of opportunities to do some birding while here.
>
> After work on Friday, I visited The Spectacles, which is part of the Beeliar
> Regional Park on the southern side of Perth. There I heard and then saw 3
> goldfinches - had very good looks at one bird in particular.
>
> The only field guide I have with me is the latest Pizzey, which shows
> Goldfinch is restricted to SE Australia. And certainly I've never seen them
> over in Perth on all the other visits I've ever made here.
>
> Does anyone know if Goldfinches have previously been recorded in Perth?
>
> Alan Stuart
Time for change? Find your ideal job with SEEK.
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Atl%3Ask%3Anine%3A0%3Ahottag%3Achange&_t=757263783&_r=SEEK_tagline&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org