birding-aus

Radjah Shelduck, Wynnum North, Brisbane, Qld

Subject: Radjah Shelduck, Wynnum North, Brisbane, Qld
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:22:39 +1000
Hi

Went out to see the Radjah Shelduck at the Fuller oval this morning. I
found it easy enough - when it's in the open it sticks out like the
proverbial dog's appendages, however after a few mins of good full
body/legs viewing it wandered back into the trees and my only views from
then on were of it's upper back and occasionally the head and chest. It
fed continually - apparently in the short grass under the edge of the
trees - and moved around quite energetically, to the point where I
thought I had two birds, but decided that it was the same one moving
further and faster than I had realised. At times it disappeared
completely behind the trees so if you go to see it - be aware it may be
out of sight for several minutes. It's approx 300 meters away and a
scope is necessary for good viewing, altho reasonable views are possible
with bins - especially if it is out in the open. (for those who saw the
Wood Sands late last year - it's just behind their favourite spot).

Thanks for the report! First time I have heard this species been seen in
SE Qld this century - apart from the birds at Beaudesert which I think,
repeat, think were confirmed escapes? Maybe some one can support or deny
that? This bird did not appear to have any rings or bands on the legs in
the few mins I had to see them.... I'd be interested to hear if anyone
else comes up with any further info.

Cheers
Colin.
--