birding-aus

Australian Seabird Expedition 2008 Leg 3

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Australian Seabird Expedition 2008 Leg 3
From: Richard Baxter <>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 20:38:20 -0700 (PDT)

The Australian Seabird Expedition 2008 Update 3

On the night of the 10 October we departed Cascade Jetty Norfolk Island on
route back to NSW, via Lord Howe Island.  After two days sailing we left
Norfolk Island’s EEZ, spending three full days in LHI waters, prior to the two
day trip into Newcastle.

the shelf west of NI.  Several tern species from NI remained common throughout
the first day but all on board were focused on finding the elusive cookilaria’s
which cruise these waters each October.   Amazingly one of the first cookilaria
to be seen that day was one of the thousands of Pycroft’s Petrels making there
way back to NZ.  This was followed throughout the day by 3 Cook’s Petrel, 12
Cook’s/Pycroft’s types, 25 Mottled Petrels and 1 Black-winged Petrel.  Cape,
Kermadec, Great-winged and Black Petrels were seen well as well as nearly 35
Little Shearwater.    We cruised passed Lord Howe Island about midday where
Flesh-footed Shearwater was abundant and White-bellied Storm Petrel numbers
increased to around 50. Between LHI and Newcastle, amongst the more common
species we observed Solander’s Petrel, Cook’s Petrel, Black-bellied Storm
Petrel as well as
 Gould’s Petrel.

Species Leg 3: (Total seen)

Red-tailed Tropicbird  -  2
Wilson’s Storm Petrel -  43
Black-bellied Storm-Petrel  - 7
White-bellied Storm-Petrel - 54
Wandering Albatross - 44
Black-browed Albatross - 1
Shy Albatross - 6
Cape Petrel - 15
White-chinned Petrel - 1
Black Petrel - 5
Wedge-tailed Shearwater - 90
Flesh-footed Shearwater – 209
Sooty Shearwater - 13
Short-tailed Shearwater – 1970+
Little Shearwater – 47
Kermadec Petrel - 2
White-headed Petrel - 2
Great-winged Petrel – 469+
Solander’s Petrel – 12
Gould’s Petrel - 2
Cook's Petrel - 4
Pycroft’s Petrel – 1
Unidentified Cookilaria (Cook’s/Pycroft’s types) - 12
Black-winged Petrel- 1
Masked Booby - 6
Brown Skua – 4
Pomerine Jaeger - 2
Arctic Jaeger - 29
Long-tailed Jaeger - 2
Common Noddy - 2
White Tern - 11
Grey Ternlet - 7
Sooty Tern - 421

Others:
NIL !

Final Update to follow.

I’m planning to run another Australian Seabird Expedition in early April 2010
or 2011, after I find a larger more comfortable boat and am already taking
names if your interested in coming.

RegardsRichard Baxter

      Search 1000's of available singles in your area at the new Yahoo!7
Dating. Get Started http://au.dating.yahoo.com/?cid=53151&pid=1011