birding-aus

Painted Snipe Edithvale Wetlands

Subject: Painted Snipe Edithvale Wetlands
From: "Mark Bennett" <>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:23:10 +1100
I went down to Edithvale during my lunchbreak today (Friday 31/10/2008) and
saw the Painted Snipe at around 1:00pm.

However, when I arrived, it was not visible having retreated into cover to
the right of the hide due to a Swamp Harrier quartering the area. I spoke to
Gary (not on the list) who was also there and he mentioned it had been out
on the mud (again to the right) a little earlier.

Fortuitously, Cath (Kath?) one of the hide volunteers, arrived to briefly
open the hide to fetch something. As we walked along the short track to the
hide, the snipe walked out from it's hiding place onto the mud allowing
great views both from the track and from the hide for several minutes.
Thanks Cath!

The message is that if you arrive on a day the hide isn't open and the snipe
is not visible from the carpark, be patient as the harrier may be about.

Also, I was told the snipe still likes to forage out in the open starting
from around 5:00-6:00 in the evening. I think I'll go back next Wednesday
evening.

Other birds seen include Australian Spotted Crake and Buff-banded Rail.

Mark Bennett