birding-aus

Bushfire and our habitat

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Bushfire and our habitat
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 13:12:35 +1100
Birders, on another forum I've been watching a debate (slanging match)
about bushfires and CO2 release. Leaving that part of the madness
aside, can anyone comment on this statement:

"Bushfires are an integral part of the Australian ecosystem."

Is the research rock solid? What problems with our current fire
management practises have been identified?

>From my own anecdotal evidence it seems pretty obvious; quite a few
trees seem to require fire to cast seed, and some need it to
germinate. I also have a crazy theory that the black cockatoos are
black from evolving to live in the post-bushfire landscape, scavenging
seeds as they open. But, to quote my favourite saying of the last few
weeks; "the plural of anecdote is not data". So, what does the proper
data say?

EB

--
Evan Beaver