birding-aus

Turducken

To: "inger vandyke" <>
Subject: Turducken
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:23:34 +0800 (WST)
A Middle eastern version of a similar dish also involved a sheep, a goat, an ox
- with a
camel as the outermost layer. Not necessarily a full-sized camel. Maybe there
were the
odd oryx and gazelle in it as well. A peacock was also mentioned.
   From the culinary point of view. the difficulty is of course to get the
centre
actually cooked without hopelessly scorching and overcooking the outer fauna.
Presumably cooked over a slow charcoal fire for a couple of days while
continuously
basted to stop it drying out.
   I hope it was better than the couple of spit-roasts I've attended, where the
outside
was very overdone and the inside definitely raw.  It's a cooking technique which
requires skill and patience.

Anthea Fleming