birding-aus

Possible Yellow Wagtail in East St. Kilda, Victoria

To: <>
Subject: Possible Yellow Wagtail in East St. Kilda, Victoria
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:08:47 +1100
This morning around 8:30 while walking through Alma Park East in East St
Kilda (about 6km SSE of Central Melbourne) my attention was attracted to a
high pitched parrot-like churring call above me. Definitely not a local
species so I looked up into the sky expecting to see some aviary escapee.
But the bird I could see silhouetted against the sky was the shape of a
wagtail, quite high (about 20-30 metres) rapidly heading east towards
Dandenong Road. It was flying strongly but with that undulating style of a
wagtail ie a few rapid wingbeats interspersed with a bit of a pause.

The call seemed stronger than any Yellow Wagtail I have heard in Australia
but having listened to a few recordings online I am pretty sure that it was
this and not any other species of wagtail or pipit. I wouldn't say the
sighting was good enough to make a definitve claim, but thought it was worth
reporting and any birders who happen to be in the St Kilda-Prahran-North
Caulfield area might want to keep an eye out as it could drop in on any open
space. The bird was heading in the general direction of the St Kilda
Cemetery and I will attempt to get out there this afternoon if I can.

If this bird can be confirmed I believe it may only be the sixth or seventh
Victorian record.

Sean Dooley