birding-aus

Black and white ground dwellers

To: Cas and Lisa Liber <>, <>
Subject: Black and white ground dwellers
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 23:26:25 +1000
Hi Cas,

        Great minds think alike!

See "Bird Wonders of Australia", by Alec H. Chisholm, (Angus & Robertson,
1948), Chapter 10 "A Study in Black & White" which begins:

    "Can you tell me," said a visiting Englishwoman, "why it is so many of
the common Australian birds are black and white?

    "Here was a nice point.  It was one that I had not previously known to
be remarked upon by a visitor, although it has been a subject for cogitation
among Australian naturalists during many years."

Skipping to Chisholm's final para, seven pages later:

    "On the whole then, we may perhaps agree to regard the assertiveness of
black and white birds, together with the practice of nesting in company, as
something more than a haphazard development.  Both occurrences, no doubt,
are variants of nature's remarkable protective strategy, and their purpose
is that basic natural aim, perpetuation of the species."

You should be able to track down a library copy?  (Or an "Amazon"
second-hand one, maybe?)  If not, get back to me privately.

But don't expect anything too erudite: my copy is autographed: "For Syd
Curtis with the Benediction of the Author of this Gossip".  And the book is
more reminiscence than science.  Delightful just the same.  And when he sent
me the copy (Dec. '52), he was Editor-in-Chief for the preparation of the
Angus & Robertson "Australia Encyclopaedia", testimony to the high regard in
which he was held in the publishing world.

Cheers

Syd