birding-aus

Redthroat responding to Grey Honeyeater song.

To: <>
Subject: Redthroat responding to Grey Honeyeater song.
From: "Phil Tizzard" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:24:12 +0100
I recently spent some time searching (unsuccessfully) for Grey Honeyeater
near Cue, WA. From time to time I played the track of Grey Honeyeater song
from CD7 of the BOCA Field Guide to Australian Birdsong.

Although I never got a response from a honeyeater, I did get a very strong
response on two occasions from two separate male Redthroats! On each
occasion the Redthroat started singing almost immediately I started playing
the track, then flew in towards me and sang strongly from a number of
perches for half a minute or so, before stopping and flying off. (In fact,
the reaction was similar to the response I got from a male Redthroat to
playback of its song the day before).

On neither occasion had the Redthroat been singing before I played the Grey
Honeyeater song and in fact I was unaware of the bird's presence until it
sang.

It seems very strange to get such a positive response from one species to
the song of another and I was left wondering whether the recording really
was of a Grey Honeyeater...?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Regards

Phil Tizzard