birding-aus

unwelcome living room visitor

Subject: unwelcome living room visitor
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:25:29 +0800 (WST)
We once came home from a weekend away to find a small bat making figure-of-eight
circuits round the sitting room. It must have come down the chimney and
couldn't get out
again. We opened a door, sure that it would find its way out - but it continued
to fly
up and down. We concluded that having learnt its way round the room, it had
switched off
its sonar and hadn't noticed the open door. After watching it do this, we
fetched
tea-towels and Brian managed to flip it gently as it went past.  This startled
it and
knocked it off course, and it must have started to call again, because it
instantly
found the door and out it went.

Probably a Gould's Wattled Bat, if anyone's interested.

In my childhood we kept canaries.  We also kept a butterfly or shrimp net on a
couple of
nails below the cage. Very useful for escapes.

Anthea Fleming