birding-aus

Colqhuon SF and Den of Nargon Birding

To: <>
Subject: Colqhuon SF and Den of Nargon Birding
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:16:32 +0000
Hi,

Brett Lane and I just returned from a great couple of days of birding around
the Bairnsdale-Sale area.

We went to Colqhuon State Forest on the vague off chance of looking for Masked
Owls but didn't hear any. At the creek down Oil Bore Road is a great valley
with a very diverse mix of birds. There is a gravel bike path along the length
and it was absolutely brimming with honeyeaters. The red box were in flower.

Highlights included:

Pilotbird
Fan-tailed, Shining Bronze, Brush and Pallid Cuckoos
Yellow-tufted, Yellow-faced, White-naped, Lewin's Honeyeaters
Lyrebird
Emu (field margins next to the forest)
Gang Gang Cockatoos
Musk Lorikeets - vast numbers lerping
Satin Flycatcher
Spotted Quail Thrush - some great habitat. Got fantastic views down to a few
metres of a female, with a male in the distance.
Rufous and Golden Whistler (former in dry forest up higher)
Olive-backed Oriole
Satin Bowerbird (great views of a couple of males)

And at night

Southern Boobooks (seemingly calling everywhere at night)
Greater and Sugar Gliders
Owlet Nightjar

At Den of Nargon we added:

Brown Gerygone
Black-faced Monarch
We also flushed another pair of Spotted Quail Thrush from the track, then
minutes later, had more amazing views of a male and female Spotted Quail Thrush
just metres from the track.

A great trip and highly recommended locations. Also, the latter is one of the
most stunning places I have ever been in Victoria.

Regards,

Simon Mustoe.