birding-aus

Canada Goose find (Vict.)

To: <>
Subject: Canada Goose find (Vict.)
From: "Mandarin" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 11:17:05 +1000
It worries me that someone would say there are none in captivity in Australia...
I myself have two pair of these birds and I know of plenty in captivity in
Australia, especially in the Eastern states

Thanks
Steven Armstrong
Queensland

Canada Goose find (Vict.)
      from [Martin . O'Brien] [Permanent Link][Original]

Date:  Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:34:20 +1100

Interesting snippet for Melbourne birdos.

 A Melbourne-based animal rescue group captured a goose at the Kingston
Public Golf Course (Melb. se suburbs) yesterday.  It turned out to be a
Canada Goose - a tick that is now unavailable!

A colleague's enquiries of the golf course people established that this
bird has been there for at least two years!  It was one of two geese - the
other being a white one that was taken some time ago by a fox.  The Canada
Goose used to follow golfers around the course.  Canada Geese are not
known to be in captivity in Australia and this one may have come from New
Zealand.

It is a bit of a concern that a striking species like this, with
significant pest potential, could be here in a public place for so long
without coming to the attention of birders and the authorities.

cheers, Martin

Martin O'Brien
Wildlife Biologist - Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St.,
East Melbourne  3002
VICTORIA