birding-aus

Sturt NP & PYAMPA ACCESS

To: "Tim Dolby" <>
Subject: Sturt NP & PYAMPA ACCESS
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 07:32:51 +1100
Hi Tim,
Thanks for the great report.
However I didn't think there was any debate about access to Pyampa. It has been clear for a while that access is not permitted. A trip report from less than a month ago on birding-aus from Alan Rogers makes it
quite clear that Pyampa is still off limits (copied below).
I really don't think that a last minute phone call is enough when we
spend ages planning a trip to see these birds specifically. We birders need to be very mindful of respecting landowners wishes and if we can't contact them we should assume that going onto their property is tresspassing. Especially such a specific and debated site like the Grey Grasswren site at Pyampa. Otherwise we just make it harder if not impossible for future birders.

Cheers
David Stowe

"I have just returned from a birding trip to Sturt National Park and
surrounds chiefly to seek out Grey and Eyrean Grasswrens. Our initial aim was to get permission from Ross and Marge Betts owners of Onepah
Station which straddles the NSW-QLD border with the Grasswrens at
Pyampa Swamp on the Qld side of the border. In recent years they have not wanted birders to visit but I hoped this might have changed. A
call to Onepah revealed that Ross had split the property keeping the
Qld section and selling the NSW part to the Sloane family.  They
seemed happy to allow birding access but there are no Grasswrens on
the the NSW side. After numerous phone calls I managed to track Ross down at his home in Broken Hill and his position of recent years unfortunately remains unchanged. He politely but firmly said NO, his comment being that they had had real problems with pig shooters
masquerading as birders and as such the property was off limits to
all.    We determined to respect his views so as not to get birders
any bad press and suggest this approach for others.

There is a Plan B which is to head further out to Adelaide Gate where land owner Bill O' Connor is very happy to have birders provided you contact him first (Narrewarra Homestead drop by and see him en route). His concern is that he sometimes takes pig shooters out into the lignum and doesn't want any unheralded human targets. Having got there the lignum was exceptionally dry and we only had glimpses of two pairs of Grey Grasswrens despite many hours of walking."