birding-aus

Birder Available in Adelaide this Week?

Subject: Birder Available in Adelaide this Week?
From: Rich Hoyer <>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 19:35:54 +1000
Hi All,

I'm an American birder visiting Adelaide this week with most of Wednesday (afternoon) and all day Thursday and Friday, and with no transportation. I'm staying with friends on the south side of the city (who aren't birders and will be at work during the week) and wondered if there are any local birders willing to take me out to some local spots either of these days. I'd be interested in anything with a "western" or "mallee" flavor or shorebirding as well.

This is my first visit to Australia, and I've been sort of guiding a private tour of a small group through eastern Australia since September 21, and it's been fantastic. We first birded out of Cairns, then Lamington National Park, then Sydney area (including a Halicat charter), and now are finishing up in Victoria (now at Wilson Promontory, where it's very cold and blustery at the moment). Today, seeing male Flame, Scarlet, Pink and Rose-breasted Robins was quite nice. Missed only Red-capped, which we did see a couple days ago when we hired Phil Maher in the Chiltern area (an amazing day). We also hired Phil Gregory in Kuranda for day and a half, had the services of Roger, Steve, and Hal on the Halicat, and recieved good birding info from sevaral kind Aussies along the way, so we've been able to do quite well, despite my bumbling around.

I should be able to check e-mail a couple times between now and Wednesday, but I can also be reached on my cell at 04-1079-7652.

Good Birding,

Rich
---
Rich Hoyer