birding-aus

Thanks: RFI SE Queensland

To: ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Thanks: RFI SE Queensland
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:36:18 +1000
Thanks to everyone who provided me information on an earlier request for spots
for certain species in SEQ. Dad and I spent three days as far north as Rainbow
Beach and in the end got 5 of the species he was chasing (plus one probable
other). The species (in order) were:Mangrove Honeyeater - lots calling and
eventually good views of one at Inskip PointBlack-breasted Button-quail - I got
excellent and Dad passing views of a single male at Inskip Point.Tawny
Grassbird - Flight views at Samsonvale and excellent views at Eagleby
WetlandsCotton Pygmy-goose - 5 at Greenwood Lake (virtually the only
waterbirds) though a white-headed 'Mallard'-type duck at College's Crossing had
me confused for a while.Sooty Owl - spent a few hours one evening at Mebbin NP
(NE NSW) and eventually called one up. Tried for Grass Owl at Cooloola Way with
no luck, but Dad get flight silhouette views of Ground Parrot (which would have
been a tick if he had better views).Apart from the Little Bronze-cuckoo and
possibly Grass Owl we got the ones I thought we had the most realistic chance
of locating (all the others would be much easier further north) and we had a
good few days to celebrate his 70th birthday.Thanks once again to everyone who
provided info, and particularly Tom Tarrant (who met up with us at Samsonvale
and showed us a few other sites) and David Taylor for the up-to-date info on
Cotton Pygmy-goose.
A full report for my entire trip will hopefully follow soon.
Cheers,
Peter