birding-aus

Binna Burra, Eagleby, Lytton, and Manly, QLD

To: <>
Subject: Binna Burra, Eagleby, Lytton, and Manly, QLD
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 09:54:55 +0000
Hey all,

Well i've been in Australia for a little over a month now and i've been getting
out birding about 3 times a week so far. Things were a little slow at first
since I didn't know any songs/calls (I haven't bought any CDs yet) but by now
i've pretty much became familar with all the local stuff so birding has been
alot easier. I hiked the Coomera circuit in Binna Burra on the 3rd and then
went looking for shorebirds today (Oct 5th). Below are some of the highlights
for the weekend (well highlights for me, I dont really know what all is
considered a "good" bird yet for the area, haha)

Binna Burra
Coomera circuit
Paradise Riflebird- 6 (2 seen both females, 4 heard)
Noisy Pitta-3 (Two birds flushed, and then the one started to call. I was able
to call it up the hill side and got pretty good views, another heard later on,
and one found dead)
Green Catbird-4 groups, about 4-5 birds in each group. I few more singles heard
Woompo Fruit Dove- 1 seen, a few more heard
White-headed Pigion- Heard
Wonga Pigeon- Heard
Russet-tailed Thrush- 1
Ridiculous numbers of Golden Whistlers, Rufous and Gray Fantails

Lower Bellbird Circuit (I only birded this area for about a half hour cause I
was tired and it was hot)
Pacfic Baza, Grey Goshawk, Peregrine Falcon, and Wedge-tailed Eagle within 10
minutes of each other!
Bell Miner- 20ish
Eastern Spinebill- 1

Eagleby Area

Eagleby Rd
Comb-creasted Jacana 3
Glossy Ibis 5
Black-fronted Dotterel 1

Schmidt Rd.
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper 3
Red-necked Avocet 11

Eagleby Wetlands
Tawny Grassbird 6
Golden-headed Cistiola 3
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin 2
Little Corella 6

Port of Brisbane Shorebird Area
Red-capped Plover 1
Whimbrel 1
Far Eastern Curlew 5
Bar-tailed Godwit 350
Black-winged Stilt 53
Red-necked Avocet 107
Common Greenshank 2
Red Knot 40
Great Knot 11
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper 100ish
Curlew Sandpiper 100ish
Red-necked Stint 70ish
Pied Oystercatcher 2
Masked Lapwing 1
Osprey 1
Caspian Tern 6
Gull-billed Tern 23

Lytton Shorebird Roost
Whimbrel 245
Bar-tailed Godwit 10
Common Greenshank 9
Masked Lapwing 8
Brown Quail 4
White-bellied Sea Eagle 1
Brahimny Kite 2

Mangrove Boardwalk
Mangrove Gerygone 8
Collared Kingfisher 3
Yellow-faced Honeyeater

Manly Shorebird Roost (I really didn't take note of numbers, spent most of my
time looking through the birds for something rarer, but came up empty)
Red-capped Plover 1
Bar-tailed Godwit 500ish
Black-tailed Godwit 100ish
Far Eastern Curlew 40ish