birding-aus

Superb Parrots at Barmah Forest

Subject: Superb Parrots at Barmah Forest
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 17:42:40 +0800 (WST)
A hunt for Superb Parrots on Saturday afternoon (3 Oct)took us north along
Yelma North
Rd to Darlows Gate into the Forest. After some birding hereabouts, we decided
to follow
the boundary track in a generally westward direction. As we turned the car into
the
track, at about 5 pm (Eastern Standard Time), a flock of about 12 very
fast-flying
slender, long-tailed green parrots shot past. At least one had a yellow face.
A few
minutes later came another flock of eight parrots. Definitely nothing like any
other
Australian parrot I have seen. They seemed to be heading south.  I don't often
get a new
tick these days, so my thanks to Keith Stockwell of BOCA Echuca Branch for
helpful
information.

Anthea Fleming