birding-aus

From Brisbane to Iron Range

To: <>
Subject: From Brisbane to Iron Range
From: "Dion Hobcroft" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:45:04 +1000
In August the mission was a bit different with a focus on seeing native
mammals in Queensland. Between Brisbane and Iron Range we recorded 70
species of mammal including introduced species. It was a very
interesting trip and some of the birding highlights are mentioned in
this brief report.

Between the Bunya Mountains and Dalby I was interested to see several
Yellow-throated Miners and Little Corellas. Barakula State Forest 30 km
N of Chinchilla turned up 3 Australian Bustards on 16 August. Squatter
Pigeon was recorded at Westwood near Rockhampton and Marmor but we had
no luck with Yellow Chats of the Capricorn subspecies in the Marmor-Port
Alma district. Too dry I suspect. Eungella Honeyeaters showed well in
roadside flowering mistletoe on the Dalrymple Road near Eungella on 20
August and a pair of Russet-tailed Thrush were present on the rainforest
walk at Broken River the same day. I thought both species may drop in
altitude at this chilly time of year so was happy to connect with both
here.

At Bowen opposite the Big Mango Mangrove Honeyeaters were easy to see on
21 Aug. Jo Wieneke put us onto Mangrove Gerygone at Samphire Drive in
Townsville. A White-throated Nightjar was heard at Alligator Creek
Camping Ground (Mount Elliot S of Townsville) on the same date.
White-browed Robins could be easily seen in the Billabong Zoo in
streamside thickets. A Lesser Sooty Owl was seen at Hidden Valley in
Paluma on 23 Aug. Tyto Wetlands turned up 50 species in a morning walk
with highlight two Little Kingfishers on 24 August. A Red Boobook was
spotlit nicely at Five Mile Swimming Hole South of Ingham.

Lake Barrine had a remarkable female Yellow-breasted Boatbill collecting
spiderwebs at eyelevel. Chowchillas were consorting with a Musky Rat
Kangaroo at the same location on 25 Aug. Julatten on 27 Aug turned up a
remarkable trifecta with 10 Blue-faced Parrotfinches, a Great-billed
Heron behind Kingfisher Park (perched on a fence post in a harvested
canefield) and a total of 7 Masked Owls near Geraghty Park!

At Cooktown Lesser Sooty Owl was heard at Mungumby Lodge and Eastern
Yellow Robin was seen at the northern limit of its range near Mount
Poverty. 4 Black-breasted Buzzards were seen between East Normanby River
and Musgrave with a Red Goshawk seen on the same day. A large flock of
Black-throated Finches at Marina Plains. Iron Range was the usual great
destination with a cracking male Marbled Frogmouth watched bill
clapping, a female Yellow-billed Kingfisher, Eclectus feeding each other
at the nest, monumental Palm Cockatoo, male Magnificent Riflebirds,
Fawn-breasted Bowerbirds, Northern Scrub-robin and all of the available
seasonal specialties. A suspected Red-chested Buttonquail was flushed
from Acacias lining the road into Chilli Beach.

Beyond the birds we enjoyed sightings of both Bennett's and Lumholtz's
Tree Kangaroo, Bridled and Northern Nailtail Wallaby, nine species of
rock wallaby, Spotted and Grey Cuscus, Tropical Short-tailed Mouse,
Semon's Leafnose Bat, Coastal Sheathtail Bat, Red Deer to mention a few.
We also found a beautiful Green Python, King Brown Snake and Ring-tailed
Gecko amongst the reptiles. Thanks to Jon Hall, David James, Alan
Gillanders, Jo Wieneke, Lewis Roberts, Jeanette Covacevich, Keith and
Lindsay Fisher for some excellent local help.

Cheers

Dion