birding-aus

Trip around oz report

Subject: Trip around oz report
From: <>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:49:00 +1000
Trip around oz report

This report covers birding sites from Sydney up to Cape York and then across to
the Top End and down to central SA.  Dates are from 26 May – 15th Sept 2008.  I
won’t go into detail about all birds and sites surveyed but will highlight what
I thought were significant birding areas and also sightings.  Bird sites from
Townsville to Daintree and across to Lawn Hill follow Jo Wieneke (Where to find
birds in North-East Queensland), whilst birding sites in much of the Top End
follow Mike Reed.  Thanks also to Mike Reed for a few extra tips for some ‘top
birds’ in the ‘Top End’.

Usually I wouldn’t write info on Birding-Aus but I felt obliged to considering
so many people on Birding-Aus helped me find many of the target birds.
Hopefully my information might help some people.  Unfortunately many target
birds were missed on this trip but I thought 117 new life listers wasn’t bad
considering I was travelling with three kids under seven.  It was also the
first time I’ve travelled extensively north of Brisbane.

Generally birding was good in Queensland but NT proved a lot more difficult
much due to the prolific burning off in the Top End. Unfortunately many of the
well known birding sites (particular Gunlom in Kakadu) were rather devoid of
birds.  Apparently the top valley has been burnt three years in a row with only
a handful of people finding the White-throated Grasswren this year.

Anyway here are some significant sightings and the best birding spots I found
on the trip (others in the full list).

White-chinned Petrel (Sick bird found on the Broken Head Beach south of Byron
Bay on 29th May. Apparently only the sixth one found in northern NSW.
Currently with the Brisbane Museum.)
Red Goshawk (female on nest) – 26th August, Top End
Little-ringed Plover – Leanyer Sewage Ponds, 18th August so an early return.
Pied Imperial Pigeon – 4th July at the Coconut Palms Caravan Park in Cairns.
Not sure if many have been recorded in oz around this time of year?
Grey Falcon – Lawn Hill NP near the ranger station
Grey Goshawk - Malanda (at picnic area in town)
Yellow-billed Kingfisher – Iron Range National Park
Atherton Scrubwren – Toilet block ‘The Crater’ carpark
Singing Honeyeater – cooperi race found 23km west of Katherine along the
Kununarra road

Bowling Green Bay National Park (20-24th June)
Located 20km south of Townsville.  Although we were stuck here for 4 days
(which I didn’t complain about), a whole suite of birds were picked up just
around the camp ground area.  White-browed Robin can be found in the creek
(only one for the trip) along with other species such as Black-chinned
Honeyeater, Pale-headed Rosella, Topknot Pigeon, Australasian Swiftlet (100’s),
Spectacled Monarch, Yellow-spotted Honeyeater, Large-billed Gerygone, Fairy
Gerygone, Lemon-bellied Flycatcher, Little Shrike-thrush.  Jourama Falls just
to the north of Townsville is another good birding site with notables including
Macleay’s Honeyeater, Graceful Honeyeater, Yellow-spotted Honeyeater, Spotted
Catbird and Northern Fantail (only site I got them for Qld).

Atherton Tablelands (27- 30th June, 20-21st July)
The Atherton Tablelands are a biological hotspot.  Great birding spots included
the Curtain Fig boardwalk (Noisy Pitta-heard, Yellow-breasted Boatbill, Pied
Monarch), paddocks south of the Curtain Fig (Sarus Crane, Spotted Harrier),
Woodlands Caravan park in Atherton (best site for Bridled Honeyeater in creek,
a pair of Pacific Baza also seen in the park.  Ask for the bird list at
reception – although the list didn’t have Pacific Baza on it).  The Crater
carpark and walk to the Crater.  Best to go first light to get the Chowchilla.
A pair of Fernwrens nesting to the left of the bridge on the walk – look under
log across creek.  Other birds observed in carpark included Grey-headed Robin,
Mountain Thornbill, Atherton Scrubwren, Tooth-billed Bowerbird, Spotted
Catbird.  Missed out on the Golden Bowerbird unfortunately.  Lake Eacham walk
and picnic area is a great spot for Victoria’s Riflebird, Pale-yellow Robin,
Spotted Catbird, Grey Whistler.  Yungaburra Township is also a great spot for
fig parrots and apparently the Blue-faced Parrotfinch has been observed
recently at the school.

Iron Range National Park (8-10th July)
Cape York was fairly quiet in July except for Iron Range.  Even Lockerby Scrub
was quiet with the notable exception of the only Trumpet Manucode for the trip.
 This was located on the old rainforest walk.  Obtain a map from the ‘Croc
Tent’.  Iron Range was undoubtedly the highlight of the trip.  Most birds can
be found by walking up and down the roads between the three rainforest
campsites. Within the forest is much harder but you will have more success with
Tropical Scrubwren if you go into the scrub.  This species can be found by
taking the track down to the creek past the toilet block at Cook’s Hut
Campsite.  If you also cross over this creek (it was small when I was there and
no crocs) and walk over a bank until you reach a much larger creek (crocs in
this one!!!) look over the creek to you see a very large tree and you may catch
a glimpse of the Eclectus Parrots.  This is one of their roost trees.  Notable
birds observed walking up and down the roads included Frill-necked Monarch,
Superb Fruit Dove, White-eared Monarch (look up high for this one), Magnificent
Riflebird, Lovely Fairy-wren, Yellow-billed Kingfisher, Shining Flycatcher, Fig
parrot, Red-checked Parrot, Tawny-breasted Honeyeater, Black Butcherbird and
many more.   The White-faced Robin could be called in at Cook’s Hut.  Chillie
Beach was very windy the whole time and no Spotted Whistling Ducks could be
seen in the swamp behind the beach.

Cumberland Dam (22nd July)
Wow!!!  We ended up staying the night here and for a total of 2 hrs birding I
picked up 52 species.  This site is located 20km west of Georgetown at the old
chimney.  Notable sightings included, Masked Finch (breeding), the most Diamond
Doves I have ever seen (100’s!!!), Rufous-throated Honeyeater, Banded
Honeyeater, Paperbark Flycatcher (quite east of its range?), lots of
waterbirds, Yellow-tinted Honeyeater, bustard.   Unfortunately no Gouldian
Finches found.

Karumba and Normanton (23-26th July)
The wetlands just to the north of Normanton held a variety of waterbirds
including Sarus Crane and Glossy Ibis.  A large amount of Australian
Pratincoles could be found along the road in the dry wetlands about 15km before
entering Kurumba.  Red-headed Honeyeater can be found in Mangroves directly
behind the toilet block at Kurumba Point (in carpark near boat ramp).  Yellow
White-eye can be found all around both towns.  Recommend taking an early boat
trip with Ferryman River Cruises.  On this trip I picked up Red-headed
Honeyeater, Striated Heron, Mangrove Gerygone, White-breasted Whistler, Osprey
and Mangrove Fantail.

Lawn Hill National Park (27th – 30th July)
This area is a real oasis for birds.  Adels Grove camping area was a great spot
for Buff-sided Robin, Crimson Finch, Channel-billed Cuckoo, Long-tailed Finch,
Varied Lorikeet, Barking Owl. Within Lawn Hill NP just before the walk up to
the bluff on the Indarri Falls walk was an excellent site for Grey-fronted
Honeyeater and Silver-crowned Friarbird.  Sandstone Shrike thrush were picked
up on the escarpment on the Island Stack walk.  Best way to see Purple-crowned
Fairy-wren I found was to hire a canoe and cruise along the banks listening for
their calls in the pandanus.  Sandstone Shrike-thrush and Little Woodswallow
can also be observed from a canoe.  A highlight was a Grey Falcon near the
ranger station.  It sat in a tree and flew over our heads a few times before
taking off.  Spinifexbird was observed at the Riversleigh Fossil site.
Spinifex Pigeon was picked up on the side of the road about 10 km before the
camp ground.

Mataranka (3-4th August; 26th August)
Another bird oasis.  The Bitter Springs area in particular proved to be quite a
good birding area. Suggest camping along the river at the Mataranka Caravan
park.  Along the banks are a variety of honeyeaters including the Bar-breasted
Honeyeater.  Other interesting birds included Pallid Cuckoo and White-throated
Gerygone,  A pair of nesting Red Goshawk’s also found in the area.

Pine Creek (5-6th August; 22-23rd August)
A few birds picked up at the Water Gardens but the best birds were found in the
Miners Park in the north part of town and along the creek to the north of the
Miners Park which contained various waterholes.  In the morning both these
areas contained Hooded Parrot, Masked Finch, Long-tailed Finch, various
honeyeaters, Olive-backed Oriole, Northern Rosella. A male Hooded Parrot was
also found near the water tank on the hill behind the town.   Radjah Shelduck
and other various waterbirds were found at the Pine Creek Sewerage Ponds.

Darwin and Kakadu (7-24th August)
Overall birding was hard work in these areas but some interesting sightings
included Rainbow Pittas in Kakadu along the Manngarre Rainforest walk (just
beneath the flying –fox colony) and a very tame one at Waterfall Creek –
Gunlom.  Black-breasted Buzzard also observed near southern entrance to the
park.  Two Chestnut-quilled Rock-pigeon observed along road (almost hit
them!!!) 2km south of the Mary River ranger station.  White-lined Honeyeater
observed in escarpment near traditional White-throated Grasswren site at Gunlom
(not much else there!!!).  Leanyer Sewerage Ponds was pretty quite with the
exception of a Little-ringed Plover, Australian Pratincole, Radjah Shelduck,
Common Sandpiper, both Whiskered and Gull-billed Terns and loads of Pied
Herons.  Mangrove Robin observed on two occasions at Buffalo Creek in the
mangroves behind the fenced off carpark and in the mangroves between the fenced
off carpark and the boat ramp.  Grey Whistler and Red-headed Honeyeater were
also observed in this area.  Unfortunately the boat ramp was too busy for
seeing the Chestnut Rail.  Another good mangrove site was the end of the
mangrove boardwalk at East Point in Darwin (starts at the playground).  Lots of
Orange-footed Scrubfowl on this walk but at the end of the walk Red-headed
Honeyeater, Mangrove Robin and White-browed Crake were observed.

Alice Springs region (29th Aug -7th Sept)
Fairly ordinary weather whilst in Alice (although I think it was in need of the
rain).  Highlights were Red-browed Pardelotes at the Telegraph Station,
Serpentine Gorge and Trephina Gorge camping area.  Hooded Robins were very
common at the Trephina Gorge Camping area along with a number of honeyeater
species.  Dusky Grasswrens were very common and were observed at most sites
including Jessie Gap (up to the left of the rock art site), Trephina Gorge
(near the junction of the Trephina Gorge/Ridgetop trail walks), Ormiston Gorge
(approx 400m past the last waterhole in the gorge heading east) and also along
the gorge walk at N’Dhala Gorge (at the wattle sign).   Western Bowerbird
observed at the Ormiston Gorge camping area and also along the walk into Kata
Tjuta.  Black-breasted Buzzard were also observed on two occasions (around
Uluru and along the road to Kata Tjuta).  Another newie for me was the Chiming
Wedgebill observed over the road from the campsite at Curtin Springs.

I have included a full species list and details to the locations of some
interesting birds

Emu
Orange footed Scrubfowl - many sites in Top End and northern Queensland
Australian Brush-turkey - (both races) common, purpureicollis Chillie Beach and
Lockerby Scrub
Brown Quail - Karumba
Helmeted Guineafowl
Indian Peafowl
Wandering Whistling Duck
Plumed Whistling Duck
Australian Wood Duck
Black Swan
Magpie Goose
Radjah Shelduck - Pine Creek Sewerage Ponds; Leanyer Sewerage Ponds; Gunlom -
billabong walk
Green Pygmy Goose - Common in north
Hardhead
Pacific Black Duck
Grey Teal
Chesnut Teal
Australasian Grebe
White-chinned Petrel - Broken Head - near Byron Bay
Australasian Gannet
Australasian Darter
Great Cormorant
Little Black Cormorant
Pied Cormorant
Little Pied Cormorant
Black-necked Stork
Australian Pelican
White-necked Heron
White-faced Heron
Pied Heron - very common Top End
Cattle Egret
Little Egret
Eastern Reef Egret
Great Egret
Intermediate Egret
Nankeen Night-Heron - Holmes Jungle
Striated Heron - Karumba
Glossy Ibis - Normanton
Straw-necked Ibis
Australian White Ibis
Royal Spoonbill
Yellow-billed Spoonbill - Townsville Common
Black-shouldered Kite
Pacific Baza - Atherton (pair); Katherine (Low Level Caravan Park)
Black Kite
Whistling Kite
Black-breasted Buzzard - Kakadu, Uluru
Red Goshawk - breeding Top End
Brown Goshawk
Grey Goshawk - Malanda
Brahminy Kite
Osprey - Karumba
White-bellied Sea-Eagle
Little Eagle
Wedge-tailed Eagle
Spotted Harrier - paddock south of the Fig Tree at Yungaburra
Black Falcon
Brown Falcon
Nankeen Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
Australian Hobby - Litchfield NP
Grey Falcon - Lawn Hill NP
Sarus Crane - Normanton-Karumba; paddock south of the Fig Tree at Yungaburra
Brolga
Buff-banded Rail - Atherton
White-browed Crake - end of Mangrove Walk East Point in Darwin
Dusky Moorhen
Purple Swamphen
Eurasian Coot
Australasian Bustard - Cumberland Dam; Katherine
Bush Stone-curlew
Eastern Curlew - tip of oz; Karumba
Whimbrel - Karumba
Common Sandpiper - Leanyer Sewerage Ponds
Comb-crested Jacana
Australian Pied Oystercatcher
Sooty Oystercatcher
Black-winged Stilt
Pacific Golden Plover - Chillie Beach
Little ringed Plover - Leanyer Sewerage Ponds
Red-capped Plover
Red-kneed Dotterel
Black-fronted Dotterel
Masked Lapwing
Australian Pratincole - Karumba; Leanyer Sewerage Ponds
Silver Gull
Whiskered Tern
Caspian Tern
Gull-billed Tern
Crested Tern
Spotted Turtle Dove
Feral Pigeon
Diamond Dove
Peaceful Dove
Bar-shouldered Dove
Brown Cuckoo-dove
Topknot Pigeon - Bowling Green Bay NP
White-headed Pigeon
Common Bronzewing
Crested Pigeon
Spinifex Pigeon - Lawn Hill NP, Ormiston Gorge, Alice Springs Desert Park
Chesnut-quilled Rock-pigeon - Kakadu near southern ranger station
Squatter Pigeon - Crediton State Forest (within 1km start of Cockies Creek Rd);
Cape York
Pied Imperial-pigeon - Cairns, Darwin, Litchfield NP
Superb Fruit-dove - Iron Range NP
Wompoo Fruit Dove - Common
Emerald Dove - both races, longirostris at Wangi Falls Litchfield NP
Palm Cockatoo - Archer River Roadhouse, Moreton Telegraph Station, Bramwell
Station
Red-tailed Black Cockatoo
Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo
Gang-gang Cockatoo - Blue Mountains
Galah
Little Corella
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Major Mitchell’s Cockatoo
Rainbow Lorikeet - both races
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet
Varied Lorikeet - only at Lawn Hill NP
Little Lorikeet
Double-eyed Fig Parrot - macleayana at Yungaburra; marshalli at Chillie Beach
Eclectus Parrot - Iron Range NP
Red-cheeked parrot - Iron Range NP
Australian King-parrot
Red-winged Parrot
Cockatiel
Crimson Rosella
Northern Rosella - only site at Pine Creek in township
Pale-headed Rosella
Australian Ringneck - macgillivrayi at Mt Isa; zonarius Alice Springs region
Red-rumped Parrot
Blue Bonnet - Glendambo
Hooded Parrot - watertank on Hill and Miners park at Pine Creek
Budgerigar
Fan-tailed Cuckoo - Fraser Island; Moreton Telegraph Station
Pallid Cuckoo - Bitter Springs
Horsefield's Bronze-Cuckoo - Fogg Dam
Channel-billed Cuckoo
Pheasant Coucal
Barking Owl - common Top End
Tawny Frogmouth
Papuan Frogmouth - Cooktown
Australian Owlet-nightjar
Australian Swiftlet
Azure Kingfisher
Laughing Kookaburra
Blue-winged Kookaburra
Forest Kingfisher
Sacred Kingfisher
Collared Kingfisher - ferry crossing at Fraser island
Yellow-billed Kingfisher - Iron Range NP
Rainbow Bee-eater
Rainbow Pitta - Gunlom (waterfall creek); Manngarre Rainforest Walk
Albert's Lyrebird - Lamington NP
Superb Lyrebird
White-throated Treecreeper
Brown Treecreeper
Superb Fairy-wren
Splendid Fairy-wren
Variegated Fairy-wren
Lovely Fairy-wren - Iron Range NP
Purple-crowned Fairy wren - Lawn Hill NP
Red-backed Fairy-wren
Dusky Grasswren - East and West MacDonnell Ranges
Red-browed Pardelote - Telegraph Station Alice Springs
Striated Pardelote
White-browed Scrubwren
Yellow-throated scrubwren
Fernwren - breeding the Crater NP
Large-billed Scrubwren
Atherton Scrubwren - the Crater NP
Tropical Scrubwren - Iron Range NP; Lockerby Scrub
Brown Gerygone
Large-billed Gerygone - Howard Springs; Bowling Green Bay NP
Mangrove Gerygone - Karumba; Darwin
Green-backed Gerygone - Darwin environs
Fairy Gerygone - both races
White-throated Gerygone
Mountain Thornbill - the Crator NP
Brown Thornbill
Inland Thornbill
Slaty-backed Thornbill - NT/SA Border
Chesnut-rumped Thornbill
Weebill
Little Wattlebird
Red Wattlebird
Little Friarbird
Noisy Friarbird
Silver-crowned Friarbird - common Top End, less common Qld
Helmeted Friarbird - common Qld, less common NT
Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater
Striped Honeyeater - Crowdy Bay NP
Blue-faced Honeyeater - both races
Bell Miner
Yellow-throated Miner
Noisy Miner
Lewin's Honeyeater
Yellow-spotted Honeyeater - very common Cape York
Graceful Honeyeater - very common Cape York
White-gaped Honeyeater - Townsville 'The Strand'; common Top End
White-lined Honeyeater - in escarpment at Gunlom
Bridled Honeyeater - Atherton, Woodlands Caravan Park
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
Yellow Honeyeater
Singing Honeyeater - Cooperi, forresti
Varied Honeyeater - Cairns Mangrove Boardwalk
Mangrove Honeyeater - mangroves left of pub at Seventeen Seventy
Grey-headed Honeyeater - Barkley Homestead (near toilet block), common
MacDonnell Ranges
Grey-fronted Honeyeater - Indarri Falls Walk Lawn Hill NP (just before going up
escarpment section)
Yellow-tinted Honeyeater
White-plumed Honeyeater
Black-chinned Honeyeater - gularis Bowling Green Bay NP; laetior Barkley
Homestead
White-throated Honeyeater - Common
White-naped Honeyeater
New Holland Honeyeater
Shite-cheeked Honeyeater
Eastern Spinebill
Brown-backed Honeyeater - Townsville at Quarantine Point Carpark; Hann River
Roadhouse
Bar-breasted Honeyeater - Mataranka; Edith Falls north of Katherine
Macleay's Honeyeater - Jourama Falls; Fan Palm Boardwalk Mission Beach
Tawny-breasted Honeyeater - Iron Range NP
Rufous-throated Honeyeater - common west of Georgetown
Rufous-banded Honeyeater - Common Top End esp Darwin
Banded Honeyeater - Cumberland Dam; common Top End
Dusky Honeyeater
Red-headed Honeyeater - Buffalo Creek; East Point (Darwin); Karumba
Scarlet Honeyeater
Brown Honeyeater
Lemon-bellied Flycatcher
Jacky Winter - Top End
Yellow-breasted Boatbill - Curtain Fig
Rose Robin - Maryborough – QLD
Eastern Yellow Robin
Pale Yellow Robin - capito Seabreeze Nature Reserve Port Macquarie; nana at
Lake Eacham
White-faced Robin - Iron Range NP
Hooded Robin - Trephina Gorge camping area
Mangrove Robin - Buffalo Creek
Buff-sided Robin - common at Adels Grove Campground near Lawn Hill NP
White-browed Robin - Bowling Green Bay NP
Grey-headed Robin - the Crater NP; Curtain Fig
Chowchilla - the Crater NP
Grey-crowed Babbler
Eastern Whipbird
Chiming Wedgebill - Curtin Springs
Varied Sittella - race leucoptera 22km west of Katherine
Crested Bellbird - East McDonnell Ranges
Grey Whistler - Peninsulae Lake Barrine; simplex Howard Springs; Buffalo Creek
Rufous Whistler
White-breasted Whistler - Karumba
Grey Shrike-thrush
Little Shrike-thrush
Sandstone Shrike-thrush - top of Island Stack Walk Lawn Hill NP, Ubirr - Kakadu
NP
Spectacled Monarch - common north of Townsville
White-eared Monarch - Iron Range NP
Frill-necked Monarch - Iron Range NP
Pied Monarch - Rainforest canopy walk near Train Station at Barron Falls
Broad-billed Flycatcher - Cooktown; Kakadu NP; Elliot Falls Campground (Cape
York)
Leaden Flycatcher
Satin Flycatcher
Shining Flycather - Iron Range NP; common Top End
Restless Flycatcher
Paperbark Flycatcher
Rufous Fantail
Willie Wagtail
Grey Fantail - keasti and alisteri
Mangrove Grey Fantail - Kurumba
Northern Fantail - Jourama Falls; common Top End
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrike
White-winged Triller
Varied Triller
Olive-backed Oriole
Yellow Oriole - common around Katherine and Darwin
Australasian Figbird - both races
White-breasted Woodswallow
White-browed Woodswallow - Lawn Hill NP; Cumberland Dam
Masked Woodswallow - Lawn Hill NP; Cumberland Dam
Black-faced Woodswallow - Lawn Hill NP; Cumberland Dam
Little Woodswallow - Litchfield NP; Lawn Hill NP
Black Butcherbird - Cape Tribulation (common in forest before Caravan Park);
Elliot Falls Cape York
Grey Butcherbird - Argentius Wangi Falls Litchfield NP
Black-backed Butcherbird - common Cape York
Pied Butcherbird
Magpie Lark
Australian Magpie
Pied Currawong
Magnificant Riflebird - Iron Range NP
Victoria's Riflebird - Lake Eacham
Trumpet Manucode - Lockerby Scrub Walk
Australian Raven
Little Crow
Torresian Crow
Apostlebird
Spotted Catbird - Lake Eacham; Jourama Falls
Green Catbird - Lamington NP
Tooth-billed Catbird - The Crater NP
Regent Bowerbird - O'Reillys, Seabreeze NR Port Macquarie
Satin Bowerbird - O'Reillys carpark
Great Bowerbird
Western Bowerbird
Australasian Pipit
Double-barred Finch
Masked Finch - Miners Park at Pine Creek; Cumberland Dam
Long-tailed Finch - Miners Park at Pine Creek; Lawn Hill NP
Red-browed Finch
Crimson Finch - nominate race Jabiru, Fogg Dam, Lawn Hill NP
Zebra Finch
Chesnut-breasted Mannikin
Nutmeg Mannikin - Townsville Common
House Sparrow
Olive-backed Sunbird
Mistletoebird
Welcome Swallow
Fairy Martin
Yellow White-eye - Buffalo Creek; Karumba
Silvereye
Common Myna
Common Starling