birding-aus

Immature bronze-cuckoo

To: <>
Subject: Immature bronze-cuckoo
From: "David and Joan Winstone." <>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:59:04 +1000
Gday guys,

This is my first post. I have till now enjoyed reading the information and
questions posed by others.

This afternoon while walking at Lake Poona, Cooloola, on the mainland just
south of Frazer Island, my wife Joan and I came across an immature
bronze-cuckoo in a melaleuca over the lake, being fed by an over-worked
Striated Thornbill, about one third of its size.

We were first attracted by the high-pitched mouse-like call, and looking into
the sun towards the cuckoo the iridescent feathers were more a blue colour
reminiscent of a kingfisher, rather than the adult green. There were still
downy white feathers evident on the breast where the adult stripes were
developing.

Needless to say, my camera was on the back seat of the car. I was hoping that
someone might help us to be more specific as which bronze-cuckoo this was
likely to be.

David, Sunshine Coast.