birding-aus

Square-tailed Kites @ Daisy Hill and reporting nesting birds

To: <>
Subject: Square-tailed Kites @ Daisy Hill and reporting nesting birds
From: "Andrew Stafford" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:50:54 +1000
Hmm, unfortunately I wrote my missive on breeding Square-tailed Kites before
seeing the storm that had erupted over the disturbance to the breeding
Painted Finches at Jerilderie. There's little I can do to take back what I
wrote about the Kites now, short of asking Andrew to remove the post from
the archives, which seems like overkill. So let me just say that the nest
site is in a very public place, the birds seem habituated to human presence,
but that by the same token birders visiting should take reasonable
precautions not to make idiots of themselves by unduly disturbing them. I
didn't think that needed pointing out before, but perhaps it did. As an old
phrase goes, make something idiot proof and the world will design a better
idiot...

AS