birding-aus

Effects of call playback on birds

To: "Rosemary Royle" <>
Subject: Effects of call playback on birds
From: "Douglas Carver" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 06:08:28 -0600
To answer Alistair's question, I have ticked over 800 worldwide species,
never used a playback, and most of my birding has been done in US woodlands
and the Neotropics, where foliage is thick and skulkers abundant.  I have
pished a few times, but like Carl, without great success -- though Common
Yellowthroats seem to be interested.

To elaborate on my earlier comments regarding stress, while the playback may
not cause stress a bird encounter in a typical day ("may" being the
operative word), the idea is that you are unnecessarily (from the bird's
point of view) adding a source of stress to the bird during his/her day.

This has been a great thread, very interesting comments, a good deal to mull
-- thanks to Graham for kicking it off!

Douglas Carver
Albuquerque, NM
USA

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 5:32 AM, Rosemary Royle <