birding-aus

Bowra Sale

To: <>
Subject: Bowra Sale
From: "Neil Kirby" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:51:27 +1000
After I returned from a trip to Bowra Station in south-western
Queensland last May I wrote to my local MP to check if the Federal
Government could assist in the purchase of the property to permanently
protect its wildlife. He referred my request to the Minister for the
Environment, Heritage and the Arts. His Department has advised him that
Bowra Station is of interest as it lies within an under-represented
bioregion. The Australian Wildlife Conservancy has confirmed to the
Department that it will re-submit an application to purchase Bowra
Station to establish a new protected area through the "Caring for our
Country" initiative under the National Reserve System.
The application will have to be thoroughly assessed in terms of its
potential contribution to the National Reserve System and its merit in
comparison to other applications for funding.
My MP wrote on his cover note to me "Some progress".
Neil Kirby
Winmalee (60km west of Sydney)