birding-aus

Channel-billed Cuckoo calling

To: <>
Subject: Channel-billed Cuckoo calling
From: Rod Gardner <>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:20:24 +1000
Peter,

There was a Channel-billed Cuckoo at Anstead Bush Reserve, in the west of
Brisbane, last Sunday, 7th September, being harassed by a couple of
Torresian Crows. This is by far the earliest I've seen them in Brisbane.
I've noticed before that they tend to be seen around Sydney quite a bit
earlier than Brisbane, so maybe this was a stray one. It may be that most
migrate further to the west. The other possibility is that the ones that
migrate further also migrate earlier, and simply fly straight over SE
Queensland.

Rod

Hello ,

I haven't seen a CBC yet in Brisbane this year. Most years i hear reports
of them from other places before I see them here. I don't know if they
arive here later or if i simply don't look hard enough.

i suspect they fly directly south from around the Gulf of Carpentaria cape
york. Both are much farther west than Brisbane..

Peter