birding-aus

Long Reef, Sydney 7 September

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Long Reef, Sydney 7 September
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 20:39:04 +1000
Hi all
I visited Long Reef today between 10:30 and 12 for a walk with my family (after the last couple of days in Sydney getting out in the open air was a bonus.) We walked around the golf course, up to the headland and back to the main car park. The golf course ponds were all very full, hosting plenty of Wood Duck, Black Duck & Chestnut Teal, Moorhen, Coot (with young) and some cormorants. Plenty of Masked Lapwings on the course (I counted at least 20) and a couple of Pipits, which I hadn't seen on either of my last two visits.
From the main lookout, there were plenty of birds off shore - good numbers
of Wedge tailed Shearwater close in, big rafts of Fluttering types a bit further out, some Gannets and a few albatross drifting about too. I identified several Black Browed, 1 Shy and 1 Yellow Nosed whilst watching. One albatross had me puzzled - it had a dirty/grey looking head and long wings with an all dark underwing - the profile looked wrong for a Black Browed (wings seemed too long for the body) and the flight was quite heavy and flapping, so I wonder if it was an immature Grey Headed (which I believe is the only other species where the immatures show an all dark underwing)? It was a long way out and I kept losing it behind the wave tops so even with the scope up at about 40x I didn't get good views - one to keep an eye out for perhaps. I suspect that a more sustained sea watch could have produced something quite interesting but I didn't have that luxury. On the reef itself (off limits at 11 as the tide was in) were a big mob of Crested Terns, Silver Gulls, three Turnstones (that I could see) and some grey looking waders about Turnstone size, which I would have assumed to be Grey Tailed Tattlers except that they were all huddled together, so I wondered if they were one of the migrant species returning - Knot perhaps. 2 Eastern Curlew flew over.

Cheers
Tom Wilson